- Ownership: BP
- Website: http://www.bp.com/
- List of BP Refineries
- Wiki Page: Whiting Refinery
- Location: Whiting, Indiana, USA
- Capacity: million tons/annum & bbl/day
- Nelson Complexity:
- Project Stage: Under Construction
- Expected Completion: 2013
- Budget: $3 billion
- Project Type: A major upgrade to enable the refinery to use ultra heavy Canadian crude
- Project Summary:
- Environmental Improvements: the Modernization Project includes $1.4 billion in environmental improvements.
- Gas Oil Hydrotreater: a modern hydrotreater will remove more sulfur and nitrogen from gas oil.
- Sulfur Recovery Complex: the existing sulfur recovery capabilities are being enhanced to create a more efficient system that will remove more sulfur from our fuels product streams.
- Petroleum Coker: a new state-of-the-art coker is being built to replace the existing one. The coker will enhance process safety through increased automation, increase coke and naphtha production.
- Distillation Unit: the refinery’s largest crude distillation unit is being reconfigured to process heavier crudes, helping to replace some of the light sweet crude that is becoming more difficult to source.
- Main Contractors
- Jacobs: licensing, design, and fabrication of Sulfur Recovery Facilities.
- Jacobs: The revamp of several hydroprocessing units
- Praxair is supplying the hydrogen from a purpose made facility
- Emerson: Process automation
- Atmospheric Distillation
- Petroleum Coker
- Gas Oil Hydrotreater
- Sulfur Recovery
- Crude Oil:
- Refined Products:
- The refinery’s largest crude distillation unit is being reconfigured to process heavier crudes
- These crudes will be largely sourced from Canada
- The project will increase the refinery's ability to produce clean fuels
- 2006 - Project launched
- 2008 - After necessary permits were issued, BP began construction on the Whiting Refinery Modernization Project.
- 2012 - BP Agrees to Add More Than $400 Million in Pollution Controls at Indiana Refinery and Pay $8 Million Clean Air Act Penalty
- 2013 - New crude unit comes on stream
- 2013 - All units have been successfully commissioned
- BP Plans $3 Billion Project to Refine More Canadian Heavy Crude Oil in the U.S. Midwest
- Whiting Refinery Modernization Project, BP
- Jacobs Receives Sulfur Recovery and Hydrotreater Projects from BP
- Praxair Starts Up Large Hydrogen Facility in Indiana
- BP Agrees to Add More Than $400 Million in Pollution Controls at Indiana Refinery and Pay $8 Million Clean Air Act Penalty
- BP Starts up New Crude Unit at Whiting Refinery
- BP Completes Commissioning of Whiting Refinery Units
- Emerson's Automation Services and Technologies Help BP's Whiting Refinery Boost Heavy-Crude Capacity More Than Four-Fold