- Ownership: Petrokazakhstan (CNPC) / KazMunaiGaz each have 50% stakes
- Location: Shymkent, Southern Kazakhstan
- Capacity: 5.25 million tons/annum & 105,000 bbl/day
- Nelson Complexity:
- Atmospheric Distillation Unit
- Vacuum Distillation Unit
- Catalytic reforming
- Crude Oil:
- Refined Products:
- The refinery produces various grades of petrol (A-80, A-85, A-92 and A-96), diesel, aviation kerosene, liquid gas, vacuum gas oil and fuel oil.
- Its products meet the Euro III and IV standards
- The company initiated the Shymkent Refinery Modernization Project aimed at achieving higher product quality standards.
- The project is included in the 2008-2015 RK Oil Industry Upgrade Program with a proposed budget of over 3 billion US dollars including 670 million US dollars allocated for PKOP refinery.
- The goals of the Project are as follows:
- Increase the capacity of the refinery to 6 million tons;
- Increase the yield of light oil products from 61% to 89%
- Improve the quality of products to meet EURO-3 standard requirements;
- Expand the product slate by producing petrochemicals such as polypropylene, benzene and elemental sulfur;
- Reduce the output of effluent discharge;
- As part of the modernization project it is planned to build a catalytic cracker, gasoline hydrotreater, isomerization and absorption/gas fractionation units.
- 1985 - Refinery Commissioned
- 2000 - Purchased by Petrokazakhstan
- Refinery Webpage
- Refining Modernization, CNPC
- Refining Sector in Kazakhstan
- Shymkent refinery will move to the production of gasoline that meets Euro 4 and 5 in 2017