- Ownership: Shell
- Website: http://www.shell.com/
- List of Shell Refineries
- Location: Rotterdam
- Capacity: 21 million tons/annum & 416,000 bbl/day
- Nelson Complexity:
- Shell Pernis is the largest integrated refinery/chemicals manufacturing site in Europe with a capacity of 404,000 barrels per day.
- It makes a wide range of products, including a variety of fuels and feedstock for chemical plants.
- CDU - 416,000
- VDU - 140,000
- Hydrocracker - 55,000
- Thermal cracking - 46.000
- Cat-cracking - 48.000
- Cat-reforming - 42.000
- Hydrofining - 23.000
- Hydro-treating - 233.000
- Gasification hydrogen plant - processes 1650 t/d of heavy residue (heavy visbreaker residue or straight-run vacuum residue) into synthesis gas (syngas).
- Crude Oil:
- Refined Products:
- There are many different types of crude oil processed, Light, but also very heavy oil.
- CB&I has been awarded a contract valued in excess of US$60 million by Royal Dutch Shell plc for the engineering, procurement and construction of a diesel hydrotreater at the Pernis Refinery in Rotterdam. The hydrotreater reduces the sulfur content in the diesel to meet European environmental standards, while significantly increasing the refinery's capacity to produce clean diesel fuel.
- 1902: start of refinery Waalhaven, Rotterdam (Sluisjesdijk), here was the crude oil processed from Sumatra.
- Moving to Vondelingenplaat - First Petroleumhaven near Pernis.
- 1949: first chemistry-activities (PVC, Teepol).
- 1969: world's largest refinery - processing 25 million tons of crude oil per year.
- early '70: construction of Moerdijk by growing demand for chemical products.
- 1989: start Hycon (Hydrogen Conversion) cracker.
- 1997: launch modernization project PER +.
- 2000 - Sale of various chemical plants
- 2005 - Aker Kvaerner wins the engineering, procurement and construction management contract for a cogeneration plant
- 2012 - A new HDS plant is commissioned
- The World of Shell Pernis
- Pernis refinery leverages gasification to meet legislative and business targets
- CB&I Awarded Contract for Diesel Hydrotreater Project at Pernis Refinery in The Netherlands
- Initial Operation of the Shell Pernis Residue Gasification Project Include Simple Flow Diagram
- The Dutch Petroleum Industry Association (VNPI)
- Aker Kvaerner wins second tranche of work at Shell's Pernis refinery
- Shell Pernis is investing heavily in cleaner fuels
- Shell takes final investment decision to build Solvent Deasphalter unit at Pernis refinery in the Netherlands