The project is also know as the Mostorod Refinery Project
- Ownership: Citadel Capital
- Website: http://www.citadelcapital.com/
- Location: Near Cairo
- Capacity: 5.23 million tons/annum & 112,000 bbl/day
- Nelson Complexity:
- Project Stage: Preparation
- Expected Completion: 2015
- Budget: $3.0 Billion
- Project Type: New Facility
- Project Summary: An upgrading facility to be built next to the existing Cairo Refinery and will use heavy products as feedstock.
- Main Contractors: ERC has agreed an engineering, procurement and construction (EPC) contract for the project with a consortium formed between GS Engineering & Construction Corporation (GS) of South Korea and Mitsui & Company, Ltd. of Japan. Worley Parsons Ltd has been commissioned as the project management contractor on behalf of ERC for the construction program.
- Maire Tecnimont: Hydrogen Production Unit, Sulphur Recovery Units, Tail Gas Treatment unit, Amine Processing Unit
- The Egyptian Refining Company (ERC) is building a state-of-the-art US$ 3 billion greenfield second-stage oil refinery in the Greater Cairo Area, which will produce over 4 million tons of refined products, including over 2 million tons of EURO V diesel, the cleanest fuel of its type in the world. ERC’s production will be sold to the Egyptian General Petroleum Corporation (EGPC) under a 25-year offtake agreement at international prices.
- Regulatory and environmental approvals for the project have been obtained and ERC has signed a lump-sum turnkey contract with GS Engineering & Construction / Mitsui & Co. The facility is expected to be fully operational by the end of 2015.
- The main part of the debt is expected to come from JBIC and Nexi with 40%. Kexim will provide 30% and the rest will come from the European Investment Bank (EIB) and African Development Bank (AfDB).
- The ERC facility will consist of a vacuum distillation unit, a hydro-cracking unit, naphtha and distillate hydro-treating units, a reforming unit, a hydrogen plant and a delayed coking unit.
- one Hydrogen Production Unit (HPU) of 100,000 Nm3/h capacity;
- Three Sulphur Recovery Units (SRU) of 162.5 ton/day capacity each;
- One Tail Gas Treatment unit (TGT) of 325 ton/day capacity;
- One Amine Processing Unit of 90 m3/h capacity.
- Crude Oil:
- Refined Products:
- Will use heavy products from adjacent refinery.
- Diesel, jet fuel and naphtha
- 2007 - Mitsui and GS E&C signed Engineering, Procurement and Construction (EPC) contract
- 2010 - Mitsui signs $200 million loan agreement
- 2012 - Maire Tecnimont signs contract for Hydrogen Production Unit, Sulphur Recovery Units, Tail Gas Treatment unit and Amine Processing Unit
- The political volatility is threatening to delay the project.
- Project Web Page
- Mitsui and GS E&C signed US$1.8Bil Egypt refinery order
- News of Project Financing
- Awarded Contract of USD 1.8 billion for Overseas Plant Project Egypt ERC Hydrocracker Project
- Overview from IFC
- Overview from EIB
- Egypt's US$3.6bn refinery finance delay
- Signing of Loan Agreement for greenfield second-stage oil refinery in Mosorod, Egypt
- New Contracts For Maire Tecnimont In Oil, Gas & Petrochemical Business