- Country: USA
- Location: California
- Production start:
- Active Companies:
- Venoco - As of February 18, 2011, Monterey shale acreage position is approximately 137,000 net acres (183,000 net acres including acreage held by production).
- Type: Oil / Gas
- Estimated Reserves:
- Production Volume:
- The active area for the Monterey/Santos shale play is approximately 1,752 square miles in the San Joaquin and Los Angeles Basin
- 2010 - Venoco drilled the first wells
- The depth of the shale ranges from 8,000 to 14,000 feet deep and is between 1,000 and 3,000 feet thick.
- Review of Emerging Resources: U.S. Shale Gas and Shale Oil Plays
- Venoco, 2010 Annual Report