- Ownership: IES (MOL)
- Website: http://www.iesitaliana.it/DefaultEng.asp
- List of MOL Refineries
- Location: Frassino industrial estate on the south east outskirts of Mantova
- Capacity: 2.6 million tons/annum & 52,000 bbl/day
- Nelson Complexity: 8.36
- The refinery was a small high complexity refinery
- It has been closed down
- Atmospheric Distillation Unit
- Vacuum Distillation Unit
- Hydrocracking Unit
- Catalytic Reforming
- Diesel Hydrotreating
- Kerosene Hydrotreating
- Crude Oil: 196,000 cubic metres
- Refined Products: 464,000 cubic metres
- The crude oil for refinery originates on the oil producing areas linked to the Mediterranean basin: Syria, Egypt, Russia, Iran, Libya and Iraq.
- It is transported by oil tankers of up to 80,000 tons that are unloaded at Porto Marghera where IES has a coastal deport that is connected to the Agip Petroli reception and storage facility.
- The crude oil is then carried to the refinery at Mantua via a 120 Km-long pipeline owned by IES.
- The refinery produces the full range of products for road vehicles (95 and 98 octane petrol, standard, arctic and agricultural diesel), heating (kerosene and gasoil) and is specialised in the production of several grades of bitumen for road and industrial use.
- The refinery modernization aims to produce automotive diesel complying with European Union ultra-low-sulfur specifications and reduce refinery emissions to the environment.
- The project includes new gasoil hydrodesulfurization, sulfur recovery and amine washing units, a new flare system and utilities and offsites. Foster Wheeler will also upgrade the existing mild hydrocracking and gasoil hydrodesulfurization units, steam and electrical systems.
- 1946 - Refinery is completed
- 1963 - Crude Oil pipeline opens
- 1969 -the refinery undergoes a major technological transformation with the addition of new plant, including that for the production of gasoline. This allows an increase of the production capacity from 900 thousand to 2 million 600 thousand tons per year.
- 1983 - the fuel oil conversion plant was activated, along with plant to render acceptable to the city the environmental impact of the refinery.
- 2007 - Foster Wheeler awarded clean fuels project
- 2007 - MOL acquires IES
- 2013 - MOL announces that the refinery will be closed
- MOL signs agreement to purchase 100% of Italiana Energia e Servizi (IES) in North Italy
- Refinery Units
- Foster Wheeler Awarded Contract by IES for Refinery Modernization in Italy
- Converting Mantova refinery into a products logistics hub