- Country: USA
- Production start:
- Type: Oil / Gas
- Estimated Reserves:
- Production Volume:
- The Granite Wash extends more than 100 miles from Caddo County, Okla., north westward into the Texas Panhandle and northern Oklahoma.
- Apache has been drilling in the basin since 1959, steadily increasing its holdings over the years to almost 200,000 gross acres (70,000 net) of prime real estate in the heart of the Anadarko Basin – the Granite Wash.
- LINN holds a large acreage position of approximately 70,000 gross acres/50,000 net acres in the Texas Panhandle area, alone, and holds 100,000 gross acres/25,000 net acres in the Oklahoma portion.
- It consists of 2,000 feet of stacked sandstones formed about 350 million years ago as sediment eroded from an ancient mountain chain into an ancient ocean. The thick deposits are made up of varying sizes of sand of very low permeability.
- The gas held in these hard rocks is known as tight gas, which is much more difficult to extract and therefore more expensive to produce.