- Ownership: Ecopetrol / Glencore
- Website: http://www.ecopetrol.com.co/
- Location: Mamonal of the Cartagena Bay, 30 minutes to the west of the Cartagena city on the northern coast of Colombia.
- Capacity: 4.0 million tons/annum & 78,000 bbl/day
- Nelson Complexity:
- Refining Depth:
- The refinery is a small but medium complex refinery, capable of processing heavy crudes, and having mild cracking ability.
- Atmospheric Distillation
- Vacuum Distillation
- Visbreaking Units - 25,000 - Axens
- Fluid Catalytic Cracker - 29,000 - Exxon
- Light Ends Unit - 35,000 - UOP
- Polymerization Plants - 7,000 - UOP
- Amine Plants
- Sulfur Plants
- Crude Oil & Refined Products: 134 tanks, with total storage capacity of more than 6.4 MM bbls
- The refinery is capable of processing local crude with an average API of 27°
- LPG, Gasoline, Diesel, Fuel Oil
- For details see Cartagena Reficar Refinery Project
- The construction of a new refinery, with processing capacity of 165,000 barrels per day, is adjacent to REFICAR's refinery in Cartagena
- The project includes revamping the existing 78,000 barrel per day refinery.
- The overall project will relieve regional refining constraints and will enable REFICAR to produce clean, ultra-low sulfur gasoline and diesel from heavy crude.
- 1956 - The Refinery was built with an initial capacity of 26.3 kbpd
- 1957 - FCC unit commissioned
- 1964 - A substantial investment was made to increase its capacity to 47 kbpd
- 1974 - Ecopetrol acquired the refinery from Intercol
- 1983 - Its capacity was increased to 70 kbpd
- 2008 - KBR awarded FCC revamp project
- Refinery Webpage
- The Cartagena Refinery Development Master Plan
- Otepi Refinery References
- CB&I Awarded REFICAR Refinery Project in Colombia
- KBR Awarded Contracts by Refineria de Cartagena (Reficar) S.A. to Upgrade Fluid Catalytic Cracking Unit